Blog it unblog it
There's a snazzy kids video series out there from yesteryear called "Threads." I remember a particular video the kids and I watched numerous times with some very memorable tunes. We still sing the 2 major ones we remember. The one is about "unpigging the pond" (literally, taking all the pigs out of the pond, which requires music...of course). So, the lyrics in the tune mention a lot of opposite verbage like "pig it, unpig it" "clog it, unclog it" and so on. Naturally, in the spirit of beating dead horses in which I was raised and still live, I am always bringing up such notions and my gracious wife tolerates and ever appreciates such madness. And hence, my title today! Blog it, unblog it. But wait. There's more. If you act now, I will tell you about the other song. It's about the elephants who have the birthday cake that the posse lost in the mine shaft coaster thing. And, the memorable line is "this band's so hot I'm soakin." In other words, the band makes you want to dance and you just keep on dancing and dancing and dancing and then you're soakin (or something like that). So, here I go. When I am on the treadmill, ultimately I am soakin. Recently it is never because the band I'm listening to is hot, nor the television program that is in front of me is hot. The words to notice here are "I am on the treadmill" and "recently." This is good sign. Today, I will do so again and it will most assuredly be 'crisp like lettuce.' I will mow the lawn before I walk though. And, yes, it is a nozone action day and I will be defiant and mow now anyway. I'm still exercising for the long haul. I'm running less and walking more so I don't burn out like I used to when I would train for marathon or do the lifting for 6 and 8 months at a time. My usual routine is 45 minutes at (ultimately) 8% incline at somewhere between 3.5 and 4 mphs. If you asked me 3 years ago, I would have said that is wimpy and lame. But, i realize it is sustainable and that it doesn't get so taxing that it annoys the crap out of me such that I won't do it anymore. When we were in Lebanon and prior, I would run 2 miles and shoot for 7:30 minute split times on the miles and, frankly, that just got to be taxing on the old bod such that I would dread it and then I was like, "what are you doing this for?" and besides...it's way hard to pick up all the screws and nuts and pennies on the street when you run that fast!!! So, I modified to walking again so I could get the jar of rusty metal crap stocked up again. I find it more amusing to pick up rusty metal crap with my hands than in my car tires cuz that usually means you have a leak in your tire if not a flat.Here's a wacky secret that I wouldn't tell everyone. It is actually more expensive for my family when I exercise more cuz I eat more and then, also, because I need the calories, I crave stuff. It's cool that I can eat it and use the calories efficiently but it's not cool that I have to pay for it. :-) I know that's silly. It won't make me stop exercising but I'm just sayin. That's probably way more topically relevant then me singing you more lyrics from "Threads."Blog it, unblog it. Billy Blanks (Tae Bo dude) says something like, 'folks that think about exercising are always surpassed by the ones actually doing it.' Ron from my old house church used to always say, "ain't nothing to it but to do it." Those are both good quotes I believe. I will now, in this order, mow my lawn, hit the treadmill, order text books for the physical trainer certification exam, make 2 phone calls to prospective employers, eat some lunch, and wait for amusing theological emails from my favorite sister. Here's my parting remark on moods. I quote Billy Crystal. "You know dahling, you look mahvelous. it is better to look good then to feel good." While you know the line of thinking breaks down at some point, I say this (Scripturally sound even) - feelings deceive us as we know - and, secondly, the quote speaks a positive message to us exercising cuz it helps us 'look good.' That was very disconnected but you get the point.Blog it unblog it.
18 July 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Um, aren't you supposed to be lifting heavy cabinets and sweating profusely or something?
Amusing theological e-mails, puh. Maybe later.
Hi Giedra! Your head is probably swimming from reading my blogs. ;-) I do know about goodreads but haven't made my way over yet. I keep getting requests from people to join visit their shelves, etc., but I am so swamped with keeping up with book blogs already that I haven't investigated. There is just SO much out there! I am glad you're coming to the reunion! It'll be fun! Wish we were all staying together!
Post a Comment